This portfolio lists the work of Kathy and her opera students after the closure of The London Jing Kun Opera Association in April 2014. It is a continuation of Kathy’s work in the development and practice of Jingju and Kunqu opera in the UK since 2000. For her work between 2002-2014, please click on links on her Profile page.
Performances and teaching by Kathy from 2014:
- My pupil, Coco Lan Shi, performed a short excerpt from the Kunqu Opera scene, In Pursuit of the Dream on July 15th at the National Maritime Museum. It was part of the Generation Z Youth Collective programme, Descending the Runway, which a group of 16-24 year-olds devised and took part in.
- The International Media Marketplace (IMM) 2022, a leading media event for travel media, was held at the QE II Conference Center, Broad Sanctuary, Westminster, London, on 14-15th March. On 14th March, Kathy Hall was featured in a Kunqu Opera excerpt from ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’, from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ with accompanying musicians Zhenyan Li, Xiao Wang and Ying Wan. This special presentation was supported by the Suzhou Municipal Bureau of Culture, Radio, Television and Tourism executed by PHG Consulting.
- Jingju opera classic, The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated 贵妃醉酒 (Guifei Zuijiu), performed by Jiawei Li 李嘉蔚 at the Maidstone Chinese New Year Celebrations was presented by Cohesion Plus & Maidstone Cultural Group at Jubilee Square, Maidstone, Kent, on February 5th 2022 (www.cohesionplus.com /www.maidstone.gov.uk), assisted by London Chinese Opera Studio.
- In January the Watford Football Club invited Kevin Zhang and Kathy Hall to present two short videos of Jingju male role movements and Chinese Opera face-painting on masks of the Five Tiger Generals 五虎上将 of the Three Kingdoms as part of their Year of the Tiger Chinese New Year celebration activities.
- Kathy performed the Mei Lanfang Jingju classic, The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated 贵妃醉酒 (Guifei Zuijiu) on December 18th at a wedding celebration at Cliveden House, Berkshire.
- UoL Goldsmiths College MA World Theatres Contexts and Practices invited Kathy Hall to give a 3-hour lecture-demonstration and workshop on Peking Opera and Kunqu Opera Theatre Forms on November 3rd 2021.
- On September 29th, Kathy was invited to perform an excerpt from the scene, ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ at the Garden Museum with accompanists Zhenyan Li, Xiao Wang and Ying Wan. It was a private tourism trade event hosted by the Suzhou Municipal Bureau of Culture, Radio, Television and Tourism, executing through PHG Consulting, entitled ‘The City of Culture & Arts – Suzhou Kunqu Opera Educational Showcase in London’.
- Under the auspices of the SOAS Jing-Kun Chinese Opera Societyfrom 2014 to March 2020 (when Covid put a hold on activities), Kathy taught short courses three or four times a year in Jingju 京剧 and Kunqu昆曲 Opera singing and movements at SOAS, open to the public. These included excerpts from Jingju (Yuzhoufeng 宇宙锋, Guifei Zuijiu 贵妃醉酒, Yutangchun 玉堂春, Su San Qijie 苏三起解, Yangmen Nujiang 杨门女将 ) and Kunqu (Mudanting 牡丹亭 –youyuan 游园, jingmeng 惊梦, xunmeng 寻梦, Qintiao 琴挑 , Hongliji 红 梨记, Qianli song Jingjiang 千里送京娘, and Changshengdian 长生殿). Kathy also taught sets of movements without singing with the folding fan 折扇, the palace fan 团扇, watersleeves 水袖 and hand movements. At the end of each course, learners were invited to perform in the classroom, free for the public, with open discussions.
- London Chinese Opera Studio presented Tom Stell in ‘Guifei Zuijiu’ (‘The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated’) at Maidstone, Kent, Chinese New Year Festival, 25/1/2020, supported by the Maidstone Cultural Group.
- In October 2019, Kathy was invited to translate 14 Peking Opera excerpts of subtitles from Chinese to English by Sinolink Productions for the China National Peking Opera Company’s UK tour.
- The China National Peking Opera Company (CNPOC) 中国国家京剧院 gave a workshop for 6 secondary schools in Oxford High School on 26th November 2019 as an introduction to their 2019 UK tour. Kathy was Facilitator at the workshop and introduced some highlights from the actors and musicians. The CNPOC was brought here by Sinolink Productions.
- On 27th November 2019, Kathy was Facilitator for the CNPOC performance at the Sadlers Wells Theatre, London.
- Kunqu Opera was performed for the first time at The Fan Museum at Greenwich on 18th November 2019. (This is the first fan museum in the world.)
Kathy performed an excerpt from ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’.
- Kathy was invited to be External Vocal Tutor to Hazel Meades for the module, Performance as Research (Ethnomusicology), as part of her MA/M Mus degree at Goldsmiths College, UoL. Kathy designed the course to cover singing and movements of excerpts from Southern and Northern Song（南曲, 北曲）from Kunqu operas, ‘The Peony Pavilion’ and ‘Escorting Jingniang for One Thousand Miles’. Hazel performed in May 2019 at her course assessment presentation.
- Tom Stell, performed Peking Opera excerpt from ‘The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated’ at the SOAS Chinese New Year 2019 celebrations on 8th February, presented by the SOAS Chinese Department.
- Kathy was invited to perform an excerpt from In Pursuit of the Dream (Xunmeng) from The Peony Pavilion, on 21st November 2018, as part of ‘More than Music: Collecting Kun Opera’ for the Digital Museum of Global Chinese Kun Opera project, hosted by the Cambridge Rivers Project (CRP) at the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Cambridge. The project was to collect, document, research and exhibit collection of Chinese Kun Opera that are in organisations worldwide, and promote Kun Opera as a contemporary living art form.
- The China National Peking Opera Company (CNPOC) 中国国家京剧院 gave a workshop at the British Library, London, on 13th October 2018 as an introduction to their 2018 UK tour. Kathy presented the workshop and introduced some highlights from the actors and musicians. Kathy also presented a similar workshop on 12th October 2018 at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. The CNPOC was brought here by Sinolink Productions in successive years.
- On 26th September 2018 at the 10th Anniversary Celebrations of the Confucius Institute of Central Lancashire (UCLan), Preston, Kathy performed excerpts from Kunqu scene, The Intimate Feast (from The Palace of Eternal Life) 昆曲《长生殿 -小宴》, and Jingju The Hundred Flowers Pavilion from The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated 京剧《贵妃醉酒—百花亭》.
- Tom Stell performed Peking Opera, ‘The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated’ on 19th May at the Wenlin Chinese School Traditional Arts Festival, Wandsworth Festival Fringe, at the Chestnut Grove Academy.
- Jiawei Li performed Peking Opera, ‘The Imperial Concubine Intoxicated’ in Swansea on 5th April 2018.
- Josephine Liang and Jiawei Li gave a demonstration performance of ‘A Stroll in the Garden’ from the Kunqu Opera, ‘The Peony Pavilion’ on 19th February 2018 at the Islington Chinese Association Chinese New Year Celebrations.
- Tom Stell and Jiawei Li performed Kunqu Opera scene, ‘A Stroll in the Garden’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’, February 2018 at the Cambridge Corn Exchange organised by the Cambridge Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) Chinese New Year Gala.
- Tom Stell was invited to the BBC Chinese World Service for an interview on 6th October 2017 on his experience of learning Chinese Opera. He presented some Jingju and Kunqu demonstrations.
- Kathy was invited to give a Chinese Opera workshop at the ‘Sounds and Cultures of East Asia’, Department of Music, UoL Royal Holloway College on 6th March 2017.
- Kathy was guest-instructor for a Chinese Opera Workshop on 9th February 2017, at the Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance, University of Roehampton.
- Jiawei Li and Anlan Chen performed ‘The Startling Dream’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ at Maidstone, Kent, Chinese New Year Celebrations on 28th January 2017, supported by the Maidstone Cultural Group.
- Jiawei Li and Anlan Chen performed ‘The Startling Dream’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ at the National Maritime Museum Chinese New Year Celebrations on 29th January 2017, presented by StepOut Arts.
- Kathy gave an introduction to Chinese Opera and movement demonstrations with the horse-whip and folding fan on 27th January 2017 at Assembly at the Chobham Academy, Newham. Jiawei Li gave a make-up demonstration and performance, and an Opera Mask-painting workshop.
- Kathy and Tom Stell performed Kunqu Opera scene, ‘A Stroll in the Garden’, from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ on 12th September 2016 at the Opening Ceremony of Phoenix Publicity and Media Group International (London) at their new site, Phoenix House, SE8.
- The SOAS Music Department World Music Summer School in July 2016 invited Kathy and Chen Rui 陈睿, professional male role actor from the Suzhou Kunqu Opera and Performing Arts Company, to be tutors and course planners for the Kunqu Opera course, ‘Tone, Word, Movement in Kunqu Opera’ which lasted one week with 16 contact hours, ending with a performance by course participants with musicians in the Lecture Theatre.
- Jiawei Li performed Kunqu Opera scene ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ on 25th June 2016 at the Basingstoke Festival World Party at Eastrop Park. Kathy and Jiawei also gave a Face-painting Workshop.
- At the Mei Baojiu Memorial Event on 7th June 2016 at SOAS, organised by the UK-Chinese Opera Association, Kathy and Jiawei Li gave a demonstration performance of ‘A Stroll in the Garden’. Student performers included Tom Stell, Clare Wen, Ann Liang and Louisa Cheung.
- Tom Stell gave a demonstration performance of a Kunqu Opera excerpt from ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ on 23rd April 2016 at the Wenlin Chinese School, and Jiawei Li and Anlan Chen performed an excerpt from ‘A Stroll in the Garden’.
- Kathy and Kevin Zhang performed Kunqu opera excerpt from ‘The Startling Dream’ from ‘The Peony Pavilion’ at the London Book Fair, 12th April 2016 at Olympia.
- On 29th March 2016, Jiawei Li was model for the image of Yang Guifei for a photography session for Amouage Perfume publicity.
- The British Museum Friends Event, on 25th February 2016, invited Kathy to perform Kunqu Opera excerpt from In Pursuit of the Dream from The Peony Pavilion at The Great Court, with musicians Jack Footitt, Ying Wan, Yuyao Teo and Liting Cai.
- Tom Stell gave a demonstration of Guifei Zuijiu at the V&A Chinese New Year Celebrations on 13th February.
- Kathy gave a Peking Opera demonstration-performance and movement workshop on 9th February 2016 at the Abacus Belsize Primary School.
- Jiawei and Anlan Chen performed Kunqu Opera scene ‘A Stroll in the Garden’ on 6th February 2016 at the Maidstone Chinese New Year Celebrations, supported by the Maidstone Cultural Group.
- On 11th December, Kathy presented an introduction to Peking Opera on costumes, role types and the ‘Painted-Face’ and demonstrations with the folding fan and the horse-hair ‘cloud-sweeper’ at the CasaAsia event in Barcelona, Hacia la comprensión de la Ópera Pekinense, at the Barcelona City Conservatory of Music. This was an event of Peking Opera Performance, Talk and Demonstration by The UK-Chinese Opera Association, London. Jingju performers were Kevin Zhang and Ming Lu, with musicians Joanna Zenghui Qiu, Qi Zhang and Haishuo Liu. There was also classical and folk music by the ensemble.
- Jiawei Li performed as Chunxiang in Kunqu Opera scene, ‘A Stroll in the Garden’ with visiting Kunqu scholar, Yuan Yubing on 9th July 2015 at the City of London East India Company Festival, Devonshire Square, with musicians Jack Footitt, Ying Wan and Ruard Absaroka. Kathy gave general backstage support.
- Jiawei Li performed Kunqu Opera excerpt from ‘A Stroll in the Garden’ on 20th June 2015 at the Basingstoke Chinese New Year Celebrations.
- On 5th May 2015, Tom Stell gave a demonstration performance of ‘Guifei Zuijiu’ at the Wimbledon Guild, Drake House. Kathy gave a demonstration performance from ‘The Cosmic Blade’ (‘Yuzhoufeng’).
- Jiawei Li performed ‘Guifei Zuijiu’ on 21st February 2015 at the Maidstone Chinese New Year Celebrations, supported by the Maidstone Cultural Group.
- Kathy gave a lecture-demonstration on Kunqu Opera on 28th January 2015 at the UCL Centre for Language and International Education.
- At the Mei Lanfang 120th Anniversary Symposium on 18th October 2014 presented by Dr Ashley Thorpe, UoL Royal Holloway College, at SOAS, Kathy gave a demonstration performance from ‘The Cosmic Blade’ (‘Yuzhoufeng’). Student Tom Stell presented a lesser known piece from the beginning of ‘The Heavenly Maiden Scatters Flowers’.
- Kathy was invited to give a talk on Peking Opera and a watersleeves movement workshop on 3rd July 2014 by the Department of Music, UoL Royal Holloway College.
- Kathy gave a talk on Chinese Opera, ‘The Role of the Clown’, at the Wimbledon Guild, Drake House, on 6th May 2014.
- At the SOAS China Institute Book Launch on 11th March 2014, Kathy performed excerpts from Kunqu Opera scenes, ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ (from ‘Peony Pavilion’) and ‘The Foolish Dream’ (from ‘The Broken Axe Mountain’)
- Jiawei Li performed an excerpt from Kunqu Opera scene, ‘In Pursuit of the Dream’ for Maidstone, Kent, Chinese New Year Celebrations, supported by the Maidstone Cultural Group, 1st February 2014.
Enquiries welcome via Contact Us